Please click the logo below to access the Bariatric Advantage online store:
It is recommended that you take vitamin and mineral supplements for the rest of your life. You will receive prescriptions that can be filled at your local pharmacy, or stop by our front desk to check out our selection of fruity, chewable and delicious supplements for sale!
Many popular vitamin brands DO NOT contain the recommended daily value of numerous vitamins/minerals needed after surgery. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND: Kirkland Gummy Vitamins, Vitafusion Multivites, Smartypants Chewables, One-A-Day Gummy Vitamins, Centrum Chewables.
1 MONTH PRE-OP – ALL SURGERY TYPES
- Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine) – 100mg daily. BARIATRIC ADVANTAGE Vitamin B-1 has a recommended dose of 1 capsule per day.
- CHEWABLE MULTIVITAMIN – BARIATRIC ADVANTAGE multivitamins have a recommended dose of 2 chews per day. If you choose another brand of multivitamin it should contain at least 1000mcg of Vitamin B12 OR you should take Vitamin B12 1000mcg in addition to the multivitamin.
- PROBIOTICS – 10 billion live organisms per day. BARIATRIC ADVANTAGE probiotics have a recommended dose of 1 chew per day.
3 WEEKS POST-OP – ADD THESE ADDITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
ALL SURGERY TYPES
- CALCIUM CITRATE – 1000mg daily. BARIATRIC ADVANTAGE calcium has a recommended dose of 2 chews per day.
- VITAMIN B12 – 1000mcg daily, sublingual (under tongue). BARIATRIC ADVANTAGE multivitamins include a full daily dose of B12.
- IRON – 35mg daily and can be included in multivitamin. If separate iron supplement is used, DO NOT take within 2 hours of any calcium supplements or dairy products. Consider taking with 250-500mg VITAMIN C to increase absorption. BARIATRIC ADVANTAGE iron has a recommended dose of 1 chew per day.
Our providers will periodically order lab tests to have your vitamin levels checked. Additional supplements that may be recommended based on your blood levels include:
- IRON (for band/sleeve patients) – can be included in multivitamin. If separate iron supplement is used, DO NOT take within 2 hours of any calcium supplements or dairy products. Consider taking with 250-500mg VITAMIN C to increase absorption. If choosing BARIATRIC ADVANTAGE iron, the recommended dose is 1 chew per day (29mg). Additional dosing options available if recommended by your provider.
- VITAMIN D2 – 50,000IU per week
Using FSA/HSA for supplements? Ask our providers to print your prescriptions at your next visit.